Monday, March 25, 2013

Science Explosions!

3rd grade started their study of cylinders and 3-d shapes several weeks ago.  And over the summer, I happened upon an example like this from Pinterest. Here is our version of Science Explosions.

I think it turned out great and a few pieces even made it to out Annual Student Art Show this year!

For several class periods we talked about drawing what you see, not what you know. One of the many tips from the Betty Edwards book, Drawing on the Right-side of the Brain. We then began with a my favorite exercise from the book; the upside down man drawing.  It always brings out the the moans and groans and boy do I love to see their face when they are successful!

So, then the next week, we moved to the science lab or we brought the Science lab to us by bringing in beakers, erlenmeyer Flasks and just about anything we could borrow.

The students had to practice drawing the beakers two times, then they could have final paper.  We didn't want any eraser marks on our final project.
Once they were satisfied with the final they were to paint on the bottom of the cylinders with watercolor paint.  I showed an example of much water would be needed so that we could blow the paint with the straw.  Success!  They had so much fun painting and blowing the paint.  A few even came up with a few new techniques on getting more a splatter effect then a streaking effect.  Creative kids is what I have!




No comments: